Paying your tax to HMRC
The clocks have gone back and it’s getting harder and harder to escape the office in daylight! But there’s still plenty to look forward to with Fireworks night and Christmas not too far away.

HMRC are making a couple of changes to how you can pay your tax, which will come into force either side of Christmas. Just like preparing for the big day itself, it’s important to know about these changes in advance in order to take any necessary action. 

So here they are:
  • If you pay your tax at your local Post Office, you will no longer be able to do this from 15th December 2017. The Post Office service will be withdrawn and you will have to pay online or via telephone banking. 
  • If you usually pay your tax using your personal credit card, you will no longer be able to do this from 13th January 2018. However, you will still be able to use a debit card or corporate credit card. 
There are still plenty of alternative ways to pay including:
  • Direct Debit
  • Online or telephone banking (including Faster Payments, Bacs and CHAPS)
  • Debit/Corporate Credit card online or by telephone
These are all seen by HMRC to be more secure - and, let’s face it, any of them will save you a walk to the Post Office during the colder months!

You can find out more about paying HMRC on the GOV.UK website, plus how to pay your self assessment bill

Hargreaves Owen offers a full range of tax services for individuals and businesses - so for advice tailored to you, give us a call on 01462 791079 or email us at

Get in touch - If you'd like to find out more about how we can help you and your business pay less tax, generate more profits and create long-term wealth for you and your family, please get in touch now