skip to navigationskip to main content

Sole Trader

Hargreaves Owen offers a full range of services for sole traders and partnerships

One of the main benefits of becoming self-employed is the ease with which you can start up and run your new business.

You can even become a sole trader whilst working as an employee for someone else, so you can test the water and see if you’re suited to working for yourself.

It is just as important to have an accountant even when the business is not a Limited Company.  We can ensure all expenses have been claimed and make your life easier by dealing with HMRC for you.  Make sure you don’t pay a penny more in tax than you have to and when the business has grown we can advise on the best structure.

Services we provide 

Accounts preparation

As a sole trader or partnership you will probably want to prepare accounts.  We ensure you make a claim for everything you are entitled to while staying on the right side of HMRC.

Personal tax return

Completing your personal tax return in a timely fashion so that you know ahead of the 31st January what the tax payable will be.

Partnership tax return

If the business is a partnership then there will be a partnership tax return to complete as well as personal tax returns for each partner

VAT returns and bookkeeping

If you are VAT registered then we can help prepare and file the VAT returns for you.  Even if you are not VAT registered it is important to keep the books up to date and we are happy to help.  Choosing the right bookkeeping package can be difficult so let us help you make the right decision for you and your business.  We offer all new clients 6 months FREE subscription to Kashflow the online bookkeeping package we recommend.


If you have any employees you will need to have a payroll scheme set up and submit Real Time Information (RTI) to HMRC.  This is something we can help you with, along with Auto-Enrolment we can remove the burden from you giving you time to focus on what you are really good at.


We can complete the monthly CIS return to ensure you never miss a deadline which would result in a least a £100 fixed fine and even more if the return is more than two months late.

Act as agent

We deal directly with HMRC so you don’t have to.

HM Revenue & Customs Investigations

If you are unfortunate enough to be the subject of a tax investigation by HM Revenue & Customs, it can be a stressful and worrying experience. We have a wealth of experience in dealing with HM Revenue & Customs investigations and all new clients are offered 12 month FREE cover with our Tax Compliance Insurance policy.

Get in Touch

Please contact us if you need further advice, have any questions about our services, or would like a free consultation or a fixed quote.

Our Promises

What Our Clients Say

Meet The Partners


Sign up for our newsletter